All eyes are on France this month, and for the occasion, we’ve got a few French-inspired collections of art to help you indulge your inner Francophile. In fact, we can hardly keep from hopping on a plane to join our Gallic friends for what looks to be a season trés culturelle.
Here’s a quick guide to what’s on:
- On May 15, the Cannes Film Festival unfurls the red carpet in the South of France where highly-anticipated films like Sofia Coppola‘s The Bling Ring and As I Lay Dying starring James France debut amid a glittering international crowd.
- Museums across continental Europe stay open until midnight on May 18th for La Nuit européene des musées, for which hundreds of French institutions—including over 150 in Paris alone—welcome visitors free of charge during the 9th annual soirée.
- On May 26th, Roland Garros—also known as the French Open—officially begins in Paris on its famously orange clay courts just as Cannes is winding down.
- From the start of May through June 5th, lovers of the iconic perfume Chanel No. 5—which Marilyn Monroe once quipped was the only thing she wore to bed—will be flocking to Paris’ Palais de Tokyo for an exhibition of related art, photographs, films, and records all paying tribute to the signature scent of every classic Parisienne.
- Lest anyone forget France’s contributions to la monde gastronomique, Eurostar will be testing a new direct train service from London to Lyon—hailed “the world capital of gastronomy“—through June 29th. Take advantage, Londoners!
- Swiss artist Felice Varini‘s site-specific installation on the façade the Grand Palais in Paris is one view through July 22 as part of the “Dynamo” exhibition. Neo-Classical gone street art – don’t miss it.
- We also foresee a very Frenchy summer ahead, thanks to Daft Punk‘s latest album release.
If you’ll regrettably miss this upcoming spate of culture and art (which luckily is de riguer in France) we’ve put together some of our favorite French-inspired collections to bring this artistically-rich country to you. Feel free to nibble some Camembert or don your chicest scarf as you browse the collections (including this one inspired by Yves Klein Blue) and let the artwork transport you. Afterall, as Proust noted, “The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes but in having new eyes.” We couldn’t agree more.
Discover the art of France via our latest collections: