We are excited to launch the next Showdown. Community participation over the past several months has been extraordinary. Of course we’re thrilled for our winners who were each given the opportunity to show their work in London at the Saatchi Gallery. Perhaps this time it will be you?
As you may have noticed, the past two showdowns were “themed” (Drawing & Collage). What’s more, we invited internationally acclaimed artists, Dexter Dalwood and Wangechi Mutu to judge the finals, two updates that have proven very popular. In that same vein, our next Showdown will be style based- – Abstract Art and will be judged by another internationally acclaimed artist, Peter Coffin.
As we continue to evolve the competition so that artists and collectors alike have a great experience, we wanted to update you on a some additional changes. We’ve received a great deal of feedback and have made what we feel are very positive adjustments. Changes are as follows:
- When you submit your work, it must be within the style of “Abstract” ( you will be asked to “check a box”).
- Your work cannot have been included in a previous Showdown or Saatchi competition.
- Your submission (the Original and/or a Print) MUST BE LISTED FOR SALE during the entire competition.
- Top 300 works must remain for sale for at least 3 months following the Showdown.
Note: an original must be available to show in the gallery should you win 1st or 2nd place.
- Your work will be judged singularly, instead pitted against another work of art as it has been in the past.
- Your work will be judged on a scale from 1-5 instead of yes/no which had been the case in the past.
- The work will be loaded “randomly” each time to ensure that all submissions receive equal attention.
First Round: Community Voting + Curated Voting
- The 50 submissions with the most votes will automatically advance to the second round.
- An additional 250 submissions will be selected by the Saatchi Online team to advance to the second round.
- This ensures that we have a selection of community favorites as well as work selected by our professional team.
- Submissions begin Tuesday, February 28th.
Second Round Voting
- Judging panel, which will be led by Rebecca Wilson, Director Saatchi Gallery London, will select 30 works to advance to the finals.
- Internationally acclaimed artist Peter Coffin will select 1st and 2nd place winners from a group of 30 finalists.
- Top two pieces will show at the Saatchi Gallery London.
- 1st place ($1,000 US) | 2nd place ($500 US) prize money.
Good luck. Have fun.